Black and White Portraits - Preview

Thursday, October 12, 2017



It's officially fall! One of my favorite things to do as a photographer is snapping pictures before the cold happens in Minnesota (I know, I know, it's something we don't want to admit is coming, but it is). As a photographer, it is important to know what your strengths and weaknesses are. One of them for myself is shooting outdoors. I prefer natural lighting rather than 'artificial'. Creating outdoor looks for myself and models in below 30 temperatures isn't fun, so that means that the race is on for snapping pictures before the snow hits.

Below are a couple previews from a recent photo shoot I conducted at the Minneapolis Gutherie Theater. I'll be honest and tell you that a lot of people shoot in this area. I'm not one to do the same stereotypical shoot as others (ie the yellow background or stone arch bridge). There isn't anything wrong with shooting in those locations, but my goal as a photographer is to try and transport the viewers to uncharted territories. The inspiration for this photo shoot was from black-and-white shots of model Meridith Mickelson. If you've ever seen her Instagram, she loves showing off her mouth. She does out of the box poses (that somehow turn out sexy) such as sticking out her tongue, pursing her lips, and putting her finger in her mouth. We tried re-creating some of her posses while putting our own spin on it. Let me know what you think of the pictures below in the comment section.





You Might Also Like

0 comments