Motivation Monday: The positives of rejection

Monday, September 25, 2017

Related imageRejection is something that everyone in life will have to face at one time or another. Whether its a job that you wanted or a heartbreak; its never easy to feel unwanted or unappreciated. For myself, rejection has been all too common this summer. The job market has become even more competitive  and trying to keep my head up high can sometimes be a challenge when there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel. 


For those of you who know me, I've been obsessed with Nick Jonas ever since puberty. I try, like any diligent fan, to keep up on his latest interviews and Instagram posts. To my surprise, he too admitted in his latest interview that he faces rejection. Yes, even a rock pop god actor like Nick Jonas faces rejection both within and outside of the work place. In fact, during this interview with iHeart Radio, he revealed that he thought he had hit a wall. At the age of 21 he had hit his peak. That was it, and it was time to move on to future endeavors. 

When I heard him say this, I thought about my experiences when it came to my job rejections. I've been fortunate to work in various work fields and see a large part of the world. When I hear rejections (especially from jobs), I take it personally. I wonder if there is something that I could have changed. If I had worked another job in college or had a fifth internship would I already be hired by now? These questions are natural to have after a rejection, but what is important is how we process rejection and move forward to the future. 

Nick Jonas explained that we are essentially like marble slabs. "Each word of positive reinforcement, discouragement, pain, and hurt chips and makes you who you are". Instead of using the rejections to tear you down, use them to build you up. "You are in control of who you are and who you become NOT others". 

So instead of worrying about those "what ifs" on why you are rejected, use it as a learning opportunity for yourself. Be like Nick Jonas and realize that these 'no's' will only make you stronger and into one awesome looking piece of art. You have a story to tell and though not everyone might be interested or understand its meaning, that doesn't mean that it's not worthy of being told. Embrace the unknown on where the chips might fall off and how you will become molded. You never know; you might just end up in the Louvre. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments