The difficulties of being a Plus Size girl

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Image result for plus size models group

For as long as I can remember, I have had difficulties trying to find clothes that fit me. The first time that I knew I was different than the other girls was in 5th grade. I was shopping with my mom when she introduced me to the Junior Section, a line that was designated for high school girls. The days of shopping at Limited Too were over and I reluctantly transitioned over to the Candies collection. Fast forward to today. The Junior Section has become a thing of the past and I now shop in the women's department. Spandex has become my best friend and shades of black are my go-to.

Shopping, an activity that used to be fun, has now become a scavenger hunt. Even though I have access to the largest mall in the United States, I still have difficulties finding fashionable clothes that not only fit but look good on me.

I'm a mix of everyone's worst nightmare: a petite plus size girl. Ankle waist pants still billow on me and dress typically hit at awkward angles. My love handles are my worst enemy and bulge out whenever they can. I'm not here to throw a pity party, but to educate you (my lovely readers) on the difficulties of shopping as a plus size girl.

Image result for plus size model barbie ferreira
Model Barbie Ferreira for Arie

Even though the average size of an American woman is 16, there are still few options for us plus size women. While girls sizes 0-12 have the ability to shop wherever they want, plus size women are left in the trenches with little to no options. What makes things worse is that sometimes when larger sizes are available, like large or xtra-large in a select style, they are usually only available for purchase online. Instead, clothing stores offer racks upon racks of xtra smalls, allowing our imaginations to wonder.

Plus size girls are pretty awesome and are combating the fashion world head first. For the first time ever, plus size women are being featured in magazines and ad space across the market. They are making a name for themselves and women around the world. Yet somehow I find myself struggling when it comes to admitting that I'm a plus size women. I'll admit, I'm not always the best with my body, but I am not terrible with it either. At times, I feel ashamed going into the Plus size section at stores like Forever 21 and Charlotte Russe. I see glamorous curvy girls working their stuff, finding cute clothes, and yet the only thing that seems to fit me is a beach cover up dress from Costco.

Image result for plus size models group shot
Photo from Plus Size Fashion Magazine

I'd be lying if I didn't say I don't have super confidence. I know what looks good on me and that I have a great body. I LOVE my body, even if it doesn't look good in whatever the trendiest clothes. I know that I deserve options for clothes other than over sized clothes. And honestly, I feel like a phony at times as an aspiring fashion blogger because of it. Maybe this is simply a rant on my annoyance of the fashion industry. Though it has made changes for the better, there are still many hurdles ahead for the plus size fashion industry. I want to see more options in professional wear, active wear, and over all confidence boosters for women of any size. Because at the end of the day, we are amazing. Shouldn't our clothes represent that as well?



You Might Also Like

0 comments